Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Alicia Keys says back off

Alicia Keys in an orphanage in South Africa:


Alicia had a few things to say about all the negative press and scrutiny recently over celebrities (notably Madonna) getting involved in Africa:

"I think that's horrible, and I think that really degrades and tries to discourage people who do have a voice, who do have power, who do have money, who do have the ability to reach out to people and get involved in situations," the 25-year-old R&B singer told The Associated Press in a recent interview.

"I think if you make a choice to do something positive, that shouldn't be diminished. I think that takes away from what's actually going on."

Keys, who has been involved in African causes for years, said celebrities have been in the forefront of charitable and political causes, and that's how it should be. She also said celebrities have helped direct attention to the problems in many African nations.

"I do think that it has become more on people's radars, whereas before it kind of came across as, `Oh, it's so far away,'" she said. "It's really positive to know that it is a global community."

Charities? sure, that's fantastic! Celebs should definitely use their money and fame to bring attention to charitable causes. But political causes...? Now that I have Ahnold as my governator, I don't know how much more celebrity involvement in politics I can take. No more of that, please!!

[source]

Elf Cosmetics

Frederick's of Hollywood, Inc.

FragranceNet.com

dELiA*s

Alloy.com

Google
Web fruitandwater.blogspot.com
DERMAdoctor.com, Inc.

GreatSkin.com

AllZines.com

Blog Flux Directory Top Blogs Entertainment blogs Blogroll.net